Procedure - Overuse Injuries
Overuse injuries result from repetitive trauma on a muscle or bone and can cause tendinitis and stress fractures. Sports Medicine physicians at Ogden Clinic in Utah are familiar with overuse injuries and are here to help you treat your injury and perform physical therapy if needed. The common causes of overuse injuries are when people make errors while training or have poor technique while exercising. When people exercise for too long, go to fast, or take on too much new physical activity at once it can result in overuse injuries. People who have poor technique can also experience overuse injuries, such as someone having improper form while swinging a golf club or baseball bat. While anyone can experience an overuse injury, they are more likely to occur as people age.
Tips for Avoiding Overuse Injuries
- It is always best to consult with your provider at Ogden Clinic before you begin a new physical activity routine, especially if you are over the age of 30.
- It is important to wear the right gear when exercising. This includes comfortable shoes and clothing, appropriate for the activity at hand.
- Depending on the type of exercise you are undertaking, it best to learn the proper form before beginning the routine. For example, if you plan to begin a weight-lifting routine, you should review the correct form for each position, to prevent an overuse injury.
- The key to a successful exercise program and overuse injury prevention is learning to pace yourself. Always try to spread physical activity out over an entire week, rather than cramming 5 to 6 hours of workouts into just the weekends.
- As you being your new exercise routine, you will also want to gradually increase your activity level. If your goal is to be able to run 10 miles, you should start with only a mile, and as you train and build your strength, gradually increase that amount each week until you reach your goal.
- During your weekly exercise routine, it is also important to incorporate different kinds of exercise, to prevent overuse injuries. This means a healthy balance of cardio, weight, and strength-training.
If you suspect you might have an overuse injury, you should take a break from your current exercise routine. For additional treatment options and information on overuse injuries, contact the Sports Medicine specialists at Ogden Clinic in Utah today!